When Rail Was King
CN STATION SUMMER HOURS: Thursday through Sunday from noon – 4 pm. CN Station is a very popular location for wedding and graduation photographs, and we ask that you respect the hours that we are open, and not stage photos during the above hours. We are a volunteer, non-profit organization and a donation to help keep the CN Station looking great would be appreciated. Mail to: Langley Heritage Society, Box 982, Fort Langley, B.C. V1M 2S3.
Fort Langley’s CN Station was built for the Canadian Northern Railway in 1915 as agricultural expansion and new settlement drew people into the Fraser Valley. Absorbed by the Canadian National Railway in 1918, its life as a passenger station spanned steam to diesel eras, until 1980. Originally located two blocks to the west, the station was moved by Langley Heritage Society volunteers after the building was declared a Municipal Heritage Site in 1983. Built to a standard 3rd Class Type design, this is one of the few remaining stations like it beside the tracks in western Canada, and the only surviving station from this era in the Langley region. The building is owned by the Township of Langley, maintained and operated by the Langley Heritage Society through an innovative partnership.
Restoration & Expansion
After it was moved, Heritage Society members picked up hammers and saws for a two year restoration project. Today the station at Glover Road and Mavis Avenue is home to a small railway display, a summer art gallery (FLAG) and is a popular backdrop for wedding photographs. The station caretaker/tenant and Heritage Society volunteers maintain the gardens much the way Station Master Richard Simpson and his wife Mary did from 1918 to 1929 when annual garden competitions between stations happened up and down the line. The couple grew 37 varieties of perennials, from alyssum to zinnia. A wooden caboose was later added beside the station and following major renovations it houses a model railway, staffed by volunteers in the summer months. In 1997, Langley Heritage Society purchased a 1947 railway car and began renovations. It was renamed E. & E. Taylor, honouring Fort Langley residents Evelyn and Bert Taylor, who dedicated much time and effort to the railway station. In 2004, a piece of track donated by CN was installed in front of the station to demonstrate the velocipede on loan from the B.C. Farm Machinery and Agricultural Museum.
In 2001 Langley Heritage Society received the B.C.Heritage Society Award of Honour for the project. The station is also part of our Fort Langley Walking Tour — more details HERE. Archival photos courtesy of Langley Centennial Museum. Watch our video When Rail Was King below.