Exciting Days Ahead!
New Life? Langley Heritage Society is working with community partners to revitalize one of Fort Langley’s classic heritage buildings, the Haldi House on Bedford Channel. Known locally as Bedford House Restaurant, the building has been mostly empty in recent years. LHS is working with members of the local arts community, river paddling and rowing groups and a commercial operator to breathe new life into the building. Built in 1908 by local carpenter William “Billy” Brown for landowner and butcher Jacob Haldi, it was truly an impressive riverside home for its day. Haldi also owned nearby Brae Island where he kept goats and he left $15,000 in his will to build a bridge crossing to Brae and McMillan Islands. Work began in 1930 during the early years of the Great Depression. Stay tuned for more news on this project.